Few who observe this odd concrete structure in the surf realize that this is the remains of a World War II Coastal Artillery Battery.
From 1942 to 1944 there were two large rotating guns, about 250 feet apart, intended to protect the nearby oil fields from enemy attack. When they were originally built, they were away from the surf.
Some times the ruins of the foundations of both guns can be seen and sometimes both are under the beach and water. Today, the other concrete pillar and ring are buried.
Most of the time this one is at least partially visible, right near the Ventura River estuary, in Ventura, CA.
Produced by: George Alger
Sponsored by: NonprofitFire.org
Sponsored by: SkyworksMarketing.com